
I chose to do the challenge activity that asks to design words that express their meaning. The target audience for an activity involving these words would most likely be elementary or middle school students. This activity would stress the importance of font selection. Fonts are so important as the style of a word or group of words conveys a message to the reader before they even begin reading the actual words.
In this example, each of these words describes itself in some way. For the word condense, I made the letters bold and so close together it almost looks unnatural. The word blurry is hard to see and it almost hurts your eyes to look at, as I'm sure all who wear glasses have experienced many times. For the word melting, I tried to make the word appear to be dripping away. Finally, for skiing I chose a simple sans serif font that is tilted down, as if it were going down a mountain like a skier.
How could I improve these words? Would adding color or more detail make these words more effective?
Steve,
ReplyDeleteI like your word choice and I think the top two do a great job of using the word to express their meaning. The word melting I wonder if you could have the word sort of melt off start off bigger and then get smaller as the word goes on. The word skiing I am assuming you are relaying down hill skiing since you have it going downwards. Just wanted clarfication on that one. I wouldn't add color to this assignment since we are just talking about type, I think. The words look good in black and white. But another thought melting could be done in red to show heat. I hope this helps.